Maintaining F-1 Status
As an international student, you are required to follow these 7 rules:
1. You must maintain a full-time course load throughout the academic year.
|Program:||You Must Be Registered for at Least:|
|Undergraduate||12 credits each semester|
|MS in Strategic Communication, MBA, MPA, MS in Accountancy||6 credits each trimester|
|Ed.D/MA in Education, MSN||6 credits each trimester OR 9 credits each semester|
|MS in Data Science||9 credits each semester|
The University is bound by law to continually report enrollment for every student in the SEVIS system. Learn more about reporting requirements or the few circumstances by which you may be granted permission to enroll for less than full-time.
2. You must maintain normal progress towards completing your course of study before the completion date on your I-20.
3. You must keep your I-20 valid by following the procedure for any change in information appearing on the I-20:
- Extension of Stay – With a valid reason for extension, this must must be entered into SEVIS by the PDSO before your I-20 expires.
- Change of Major – Once filed in the Enrollment Services Center notify the PDSO immediately.
- Change in Degree – Once filed in the Enrollment Services Center notify the PDSO immediately.
- Change in Schools – Notify the PDSO of intent to transfer before the expiration of the 60 day grace period following program completion.
4. You must not remain in the United States longer than 60 days after completing your degree unless prior to completion you have followed the procedures for applying for practical training, moving educational levels or school transfer.
Remaining in the US illegally for 120 days to 1 year will carry a ban of 3 years barred from entering the United States. Remaining in the US illegally for over 1 year will carry a ban of 10 years barred from entering the United States.
5. You must notify the P/DSO of any change of address within 10 days of the move.
You must specifically notify the International Student Coordinator (who serves as your PDSO). Call, e-mail or stop by. Changing address in any other University office will not get the information to the P/DSO and your reporting burden will not be met.
6. You must keep a valid passport at all times (unless exempt).
7. You must not work unless specifically authorized by United States Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS.)
See Employment for more information.