International Student Services

On-Campus Employment

Working on campus is a great way for F-1 students to earn some spending money while gaining valuable work experience. There are, however, more students interested in working on campus than there are available positions. The best advice is to prepare your résumé and apply early in the academic year.

Application Procedure:

  • Prepare your one-page résumé which includes your US contact information (phone and email)
    • Résumé writing advice is available from CEEL
  • Visit the RLC, Mac Mahon Student Center, Library, tutoring center, and other university offices to introduce yourself to staff members and drop off a copy of your résumé
  • Once you have been hired, visit the work-study coordinator in Enrollment Services (McDermott Hall, 1st floor) to obtain a signed letter of employment and proof of enrollment letter
  • Take these two signed documents to the International Student Director who will help you apply for a social security number, which is required for payroll processing

Important Notes:

  • On-campus employment cannot begin until the International Student Director (P/DSO) has marked your SEVIS record as ‘Active’ and until you have received your social security number
  • Not all on-campus positions are open to international students. Positions designated as federal work-study are reserved for US students
  • The US Department of Homeland Security (DHS) limits F-1 student on-campus employment to no more than 20 hours/week while classes are in session, but does not limit hours during school breaks. However, Saint Peter’s University regulations typically limit students to 15 hours/week