International Student Services


As an F-1 International Student, you are expected to file a Federal and New Jersey State Income Tax return by April 15th each year.

The Federal return comprises:

  1. Form 8843, “Statement for Exempt Individuals and Individuals with a Medical Condition.” This is required of ALL international students to establish substantial presence as a (non-resident) student in the U.S.
  2. Form 1040NR or 1040NR-EZ (if no dependents): For those international students who have earned wages (from on and off-campus employment).

Please note:

  • International students on an F-1 visa are not subject to Social Security or Medicare tax withholding. If Social Security or Medicare taxes have been withheld from your pay check(s), and your employer is unable to refund these taxes, you may claim a refund directly from the IRS by completing Form 843, “Claim for Refund and Request for Abatement”.To learn how to file Form 843, please visit:  “Claim for Refund and Request for Abatement“.
  • Scholarships: If you received a scholarship or fellowship, part or all of it may be taxable. Amounts used for expenses other than tuition and course-related expenses (fees, books, supplies, and equipment) are generally taxable. For example, amounts used for room, board, and travel are generally taxable.

Federal Tax Forms, including Form 1040NR, can be downloaded from the IRS website: or call IRS information at: 1-800-829-1040.

New Jersey Tax Forms can be downloaded from the NJ Tax Division website or call 1-609-292-6400.

Disclaimer: The information presented here is general in nature. It is not intended as tax advice nor should it be construed as such. Due to the complexities of the U.S. tax system, students should consult the U.S. Internal Revenue Service (IRS), local and state tax agencies, and/or tax professionals for advice and guidance regarding their individual situations.