International Student Services

Transfer Your SEVIS Record

F-1 transfer refers to the process of transferring your SEVIS record from one U.S. educational institution to another while maintaining your F-1 student status. This typically occurs when a student wishes to change schools after initially entering the United States on an F-1 visa. Here are some key points to know about the F-1 transfer process:

Eligibility: To be eligible for an F-1 transfer, you must be in valid F-1 student status and have been accepted into a new U.S. educational institution that is SEVP-certified.

Timing: It’s important to coordinate the timing of the SEVIS record transfer carefully. The SEVIS transfer release date should be after completing the current term, your academic program, Optional Practical Training (OPT), or any other authorized periods of stay at your current school. The transfer process must be initiated within 60 days of completing your program or OPT, otherwise, you may need to apply for reinstatement to maintain lawful F-1 status.

Travel and Re-entry: If you plan to travel outside the U.S., the transfer process must be initiated and completed prior to exiting the country or initiated and completion after returning the U.S. If you exit the U.S. after initiating the transfer process, but before the process is completed, it will no longer be considered a transfer of the SEVIS record. Instead, you will be considered an Initial student for immigration purposes, which will reset the clock on your F-1 benefits, such as eligibility for off-campus employment authorization. It’s advisable to consult with the CGL and review the visa application requirements and process at the U.S. embassy or consulate in your home country before traveling.


If you are currently in the U.S. in F-1 status at another institution and you wish to transfer your SEVIS record to Saint Peter’s University, follow these steps:

Be admitted to SPU: The first step in transferring your SEVIS record is to apply and be admitted to a program of studies at SPU. Do not have your SEVIS record transferred to us until you have confirmation that you have been accepted to a program

Submit the Application for the Form I-20: Once you have been accepted to SPU, you will receive an electronic invitation to submit the application for the Form I-20 through the International Student Portal. Please note that you will receive that invitation approximately 5 business days after you submit your enrollment deposit through the admitted students’ portal. 

Complete the Transfer-In Form: In addition to submitting the Application for the I-20, you must complete the transfer-in form through the International student portal. The purpose of the form is to alert us to the fact that you are currently in the U.S. in F-1 status. Be sure to enter your current school’s Designated School Official information in the Approver’s Section.

Initiate the Transfer: Notify your current school’s designated school official (DSO) about your intent to transfer out your SEVIS record and provide them with SPU’s SEVIS School Code: NEW214F01089000. At this time, you should discuss your anticipated SEVIS record release date. The transfer out procedures and requirements differ from institution to institution. Be sure to follow your current school’s instructions.

Release of SEVIS Record: Your current school’s DSO will release your SEVIS record to SPU on or after the requested date. This date should be no earlier than the end of your current term, or within 60-days of your program completion date or OPT expiration date. Keep in mind that SPU cannot issue an I-20 until the SEVIS Release date arrives. Students on Post-Completion OPT: Releasing your SEVIS record prior to the expiration date of your EAD will automatically cancel your OPT authorization. 

Issuance of Transfer Pending Form I-20: Once the SEVIS release date arrives and SPU receives your electronic record, we will issue a Transfer Pending I-20. This I-20 reflects your transfer and the start date of your program at SPU. Ensure that the information on the I-20 is accurate, including your personal details and program information.

Enroll Full-Time: Be sure to enroll full-time by the start of the academic term. Undergraduate students must register for at least 12 credits per semester. Graduate students must register for at least 6 credits per trimester. Contact your academic advisor for guidance with the registration process.

SEVIS Registration: Upon verification that you are registered full-time for the current term, the CGL will report your enrollment in SEVIS and will make your SEVIS record active. You will then have completed the SEVIS transfer process. At this time, you can request an updated I-20 through the International Student Portal to indicate “Continuing Attendance”. You must complete the SEVIS transfer process within 15 days of your program start date, as indicated on the Form I-20, in order to avoid termination of your SEVIS record.

Remember, it’s crucial to carefully follow the instructions and timelines provided by your DSOs to ensure a successful SEVIS transfer. Your new school’s DSO will assist you in updating your SEVIS record and maintaining your F-1 student status at the new institution.


The SEVIS record transfer-out process refers to the procedure of transferring your SEVIS record from SPU to another institution where you plan to continue your studies as an F-1 student. Here’s an overview of the SEVIS record transfer-out process:

Admission to the New Institution: First, you must apply and be accepted to a new U.S. educational institution that is SEVP-certified and willing to issue you a new Form I-20.

Complete the SEVIS Record Transfer-Out Form: Complete the transfer-out request form through the International Student Portal. In order to submit this form successfully, you will need to provide the following:

  • New school’s name
  • New school’s SEVIS School Code: Contact the DSO at your new institution to obtain this information
  • Copy of the admission letter to your new institution. This letter must contain your new program start date.
  • Transfer Release Date: This is the date when your SEVIS record will be released to the new institution. This date should be no earlier than the end of your current term, or within 60-days of your program completion date or OPT expiration date.

SEVIS Record Transfer: On or after the requested transfer release date, the CGL will initiate the transfer process by releasing your SEVIS record to your new school. Keep in mind that, once the release date arrives, SPU will no longer have access to your SEVIS record.

New Form I-20: After the SEVIS record is released and the new institution’s DSO has reviewed your SEVIS record, they will issue a new Form I-20 with the updated information. This I-20 will reflect your transfer and the program start date at the new institution.

Reporting to the New Institution: Upon arrival at the new institution, you must report to the new school’s DSO. They will guide you through the next steps for maintaining your F-1 status at the new institution.

It’s important to communicate and coordinate closely with the DSOs at both your current and new institutions throughout the transfer-out process. They will provide guidance, assist with the necessary paperwork, and ensure a smooth transition of your SEVIS record to the new institution.