International Student Services

Social Security Card, Driver’s License, and State ID

Social Security Card

To obtain a social security card, an international student needs to bring the following to the Social Security Administration:

  1. Application form for a Social Security card: Download the Social Security Application form from or call/visit a Social Security office (1-800-772-1213)
  2. Original documents showing your age and identity. Some documents that are acceptable are: Driver’s license, Employer ID card, Insurance policy, Passport, School ID card (bring your current stamped bill also.)
  3. Proof of lawful non-immigrant (student) status: I-20 ID, Form I-94 (white card in your passport), and F-1 Visa page (in your passport).  Your record must be in “Active” SEVIS status and you must be “registered” for a full-time course load.
  4. Proof of full-time enrollment and job offer:  You will need two letters. First you must obtain a letter from Enrollment Services to state that you are full-time enrolled.  You will also need a letter from the University’s Work-Study Technician to state that you have an employment offer.  This letter must be co-signed by the International Student Coordinator and must clearly identify the hiring department (including Employer Identification Number or EIN), nature, start date and hours of the employment.  Both letters must have original signatures.

Driver’s License

If your presence in this country is authorized by Bureau of Citizenship and Immigration Services (BCIS) and your duration of stay is more than 60 days you may obtain a New Jersey driver license.

The Motor Vehicle Commission (MVC), however, must see proof of this authorization and you must, like every motorist, meet the state’s 6-point ID verification program and provide proof of address.

You may complete these transactions at any Motor Vehicle Agency that conducts Vision and Knowledge Tests. The closest agency to campus is located at 438 Summit Avenue in Jersey City. To find  other locations, you may check all 45 Motor Vehicle Agencies. For more information, visit the New Jersey Motor Vehicle Commission.

State ID

To obtain a State ID card you will need:

  1. A non-driver ID application.  Complete the front side of the BA-207 form.
  2. Identity documents to pass the 6 Point ID Verification. For details on the 6-point verification program please see the DMV website.

Please note that all documents must be original or certified copies, in English, and have the required state and/or municipal seals.