Disability Services

Student FAQs

Frequently Asked Questions

What laws protect a student with disabilities at the college or university level?

Section 504 of the Rehabilitation act of 1973 and the Americans with Disabilities Act Amendments Act (ADAAA) and the Fair Housing Act all protect students with disabilities. These laws prohibit Saint Peter’s University from discriminating against an individual with an impairment, as defined by the law

Who is considered classified as a student with disabilities?

The State and Federal laws have very specific criteria to establish that an individual is considered impaired and entitled to the protection of the law. A disability for the purposes of the Americans with Disabilities Act, as amended, generally means that the person has a physical or mental impairment which substantially limits a major life activity or has a record of such an impairment, or is regarded as having such an impairment.

What kind of accommodations does Saint Peter’s University offer for students with disabilities?

Saint Peter’s University offers academic accommodations as well as housing accommodations for eligible students. To learn more about the specific accommodations we provide please visit out Accommodations and Services page.

I am a new student with a disability attending Saint Peter’s University in the fall. How do I apply for accommodations?

Your first step is to complete an Accommodation Request Form and submit that form along with the supporting documentation to Dr. Nicole DeCapua Rinck. To learn more about the process and the steps after please visit our Applying for Accommodations page.

I am a current student with a disability at Saint Peter’s University. Do I have to reapply for accommodations?

Yes, accommodations do not automatically carry over between terms. You will need to submit an Academic Accommodation Renewal Form for each term, but you only must submit supporting documentation at the start of the each term.

What kind of documentation do I need to apply for accommodations?

Please see our supporting documentation page for the specific documentation needed for each type of disability.

How recent does my documentation need to be in order to apply for accommodations?

The documentation must be recent. We suggest that it should not be more than 6 years old.

How will my professors know about my accommodations?

Once you are approved for accommodations, you will be provided a Letter of Accommodations. It is then your responsibility to provide each of your professors with this letter. We recommend that you also arrange to meet with your professor during office hours to discuss the approved academic accommodations contained in your letter at the start of each term.

Is my specific disability information shared with my professors?

No. Unless required by law, Saint Peter’s University does not disclose information about student disabilities to members of its faculty. If you receive a Letter of Accommodation, it only contains information about the approved academic accommodations and does not contain any information about your specific disability.

What if I need additional academic or housing accommodations?

Please contact Dr. Nicole DeCapua Rinck by phone at (201) 761-6038 or by email at accommodations@saintpeters.edu to discuss additional accommodations.

Is tutoring an accommodation provided for students with disabilities?

Yes, tutoring is one of the accommodations provided. Tutor assistance is provided by the Center for Academic Success and Engagement (CASE). Please contact CASE by email at case@saintpeters.edu for more information.

I have been approved to take my exams at an alternate location. Do I need to do anything before the exam?

Yes. You must complete and submit the Exam Accommodation Request Form at least 10 BUSINESS DAYS before the exam. We suggest that you submit this form as early as possible. If you do not fill out the form and return it in time, then you may not be able to take the exam in an alternative location at a preferred date and time. It is your responsibility to fill out this form and discuss these exam accommodations with your professor(s).

For more information about the accommodations Saint Peter’s provides please visit our Accommodations and Services page.

If you have any other questions or issues about this specific accommodation please contact the Center for Academic Success and Engagement (CASE) at accommodations@saintpeters.edu. If you elect to submit your request form through email, you must use your Saint Peter’s University email address.

Have any more questions? Please contact Dr. Nicole DeCapua Rinck by phone at (201) 761-6038 or by email at accommodations@saintpeters.edu.