Disability Services

Information for Parents

Saint Peter’s University understands that as parents or guardians you have always played a role in your child’s education, especially if your child has a disability. However, there will be some changes now that your child is in college. We hope this page and the rest of our website helps you and your child transition to Saint Peter’s University with ease.

Saint Peter’s University will not disclose information about adult students to parents without proper authorization. In general, every student at Saint Peter’s University is considered an adult and is responsible for his or her own learning. Therefore, students with disabilities must self-advocate. Part of this self-advocacy is deciding to disclose to Saint Peter’s University any impairment and request for academic or housing accommodations. We ask you to encourage your child to take on this responsibility and learn to self-advocate. Our office is here to assist your child through this process.

To successfully transition to Saint Peter’s University students should:

  1. Self-identify as having a disability and apply for accommodations.
    1. Complete an Accommodation Request Form and submit that form along with the supporting documentation to Dr. Nicole DeCapua Rinck.
    2. Meet with Dr. Nicole DeCapua Rinck to discuss the request for accommodations.
  2. Provide each professor with a Letter of Accommodations at the start of every term. We also suggest students meet with every professor during assigned office hours to discuss the Letter of Accommodations.
  3. Contact Dr. Nicole DeCapua Rinck by phone at (201) 761-6038 or by email at accommodations@saintpeters.edu if the student has any other questions or concerns.

Important information to understand for the transition from high school to Saint Peter’s University

Self-identification and self-advocacy:
In the K-12 sector, the school district is generally responsible for identifying and evaluating students with disabilities. It is also the school district’s responsibility to provide a free appropriate public education (FAPE). During this time, it is the children’s’ parents and school that advocate on their behalf.

In the postsecondary setting, the student is entitled to academic adjustments such that the student may participate without discrimination based on disability. The obligation for advocacy and identification shifts to the student. This means that the student must inform their school of any impairment to determine whether academic or housing accommodations are appropriate.

It is very important to understand that Saint Peter’s University cannot provide accommodations unless a student self-identifies, completes the application process, is approved, and receives a Letter of Accommodation.

In order to receive academic or housing accommodations, students must submit verified documentation that is recent and meets certain criteria. Please visit our Documentation Criteria page for more information.

Access to Student Records (FERPA):
Students who wish to authorize release of their academic information to parents, guardians, spouses or any other individual may do so by submitting a FERPA Waiver Request to the Enrollment Services Center. Please visit our Notification of Rights under Family Educational Rights and Privacy (FERPA) for All Students page for more information.

Receiving Accommodations every Term (Matriculated Students):
In order to continue receiving accommodations, students must complete an Accommodation Renewal Form and obtain the Letter of Accommodations from Dr. Nicole DeCapua Rinck at the beginning of each term. Students must only provide with supporting documentation for the fall term, but must reapply for a letter of accommodations every term. Once a letter of accommodations is received, students must provide a copy to each their professors. We recommend that students request a meeting to discuss the Letter of Accommodations with each of their professors.