Residence Life

Housing Accommodations

Disability Services works in conjunction with the Office of Residence Life to provide accessible campus housing accommodations for students with disabilities that impact one’s living situation. Once students are registered and approved for housing accommodations, Disability Services will provide all information regarding eligible accommodations directly to Residence Life.

Students who want to apply for academic accommodations or housing accommodations should complete the outlined steps found here. We encourage you to visit Disability Services for more information regarding accommodations.


Preference versus Need

Please be advised that requests for particular housing assignments or particular type of living environment based on a student’s preference, rather than need will not be honored. (e.g. A student seeking a single room to serve as a quiet, undisturbed place to study represents a preference, but not a necessity).

Requests for a Single Room

Single room accommodations are reserved only for individuals whose medical documentation illustrates clear and substantial needs, and for whom a standard housing assignment with a roommate is not viable. A student with a disability may request a single room in a residence hall as an accommodation if it is deemed necessary by a qualified health professional. The student will need to submit disability documentation that supports the accommodation request when registering with Disability Services. Students who request and are approved for a single room as a residential housing accommodation will be assigned a single room by the Office of Residence Life. Residence Life will be notified in writing of single room approvals from Disability Services.

Please note that a request for a single room due to wanting a quiet place to study may not meet eligibility criteria for a single room based on disability. Students who need to study in a quiet environment can have their study needs met in areas such as the library or other quiet study areas on campus.

Here are examples of conditions that ordinarily do not warrant a medical single:

  1. Asthma
  2. Allergies
  3. Learning disorders / ADHD
  4. Insomnia and sleep problems
  5. Orthopedic problems
  6. Depression
  7. Anxiety

Approved Service/Support Animals in Residence Halls

Saint Peter’s University will permit service and support animals in on-campus housing units as a reasonable accommodation based on supporting medical documentation. More information can be found on the Approved Service/Support Animals in Residence page.

Important Things to Keep in Mind for Housing Accommodation Requests

  1. Housing accommodations are only valid for one academic year (August- May). Students are required to submit a NEW request each year to Disability Services.
  2. A separate, distraction-free living environment accommodation is not a reasonable request. If a student needs to live or sleep in a near silent environment, we cannot guarantee this environment. By virtue of the shared facilities, resources, and number of people living under one roof in the residence halls, a single room will not necessarily provide a quieter, more distraction-free space than a standard shared room.
  3. Saint Peter’s University will not provide a student with a different bed than the one in the room the student was assigned to.
  4. Saint Peter’s University cannot guarantee a dust or allergen free environment.
  5. Students with temporary conditions (injuries) and/or medical situations (short term illness) are not considered persons with disabilities and would not apply for housing support through Disability Services.  Instead, if temporary arrangements are required, they should be requested through Residence Life.
  6. Air conditioning units are not available to students with asthma or severe allergies. However, personal air filtering units are acceptable depending upon the building electrical capacities.  Students with demonstrated need will be assigned to a building with electrical capabilities.


Questions regarding the accommodations process, disability documentation, or disability information should be directed to:

Disability Services (located in CASE Office)
McDermott Hall, Lower Level