Learning Goals & Mission
The Bachelor of Science Degree program in Physical and Health Education will:
- Provide students with a solid foundation in the physical, social, and behavioral sciences as well as in the principles of teaching and learning to promote wellness and fitness.
- Enhance one’s knowledge related to health information and issues as well as healthy lifestyle choices across the lifespan.
- Prepare students for graduate study.
- Integrate theory and practice through selected practical and field experiences.
- Apply issues of social justice into an understanding of health and physical education issues.
The program will enable students to:
- Synthesize knowledge from the physical, social, behavioral and health sciences to roles in the fields of health, fitness and physical education.
- Acquire communication and leadership skills to serve as advocates for the promotion of health and well-being.
- Prepare interventions and programming for a wide range of contemporary health issues.
- Use critical thinking skills and creativity to examine emerging health-related topics and challenges.
- Apply teaching and learning theories to physical and health education
- Utilize information technology and research skills to the study of health, fitness activities and physical education.
- Acquire knowledge and skills related to individual, team and dual sports.
- Incorporate ethical and legal concepts into the examination of health issues.