Enrollment Services


Post 9/11 GI Bill

The Post 9/11 GI Bill, also referred to as Chapter 33, offers veterans who have served after September 10, 2001 financial assistance in order to pursue higher education. The amount of financial assistance from VA is dependent upon the veteran’s length of service after 9/11/01.

Post-9/11 Service Percentage of Maximum Amount Payable
At least 36 cumulative months 100%
At least 30 continuous days on active duty and discharged due to service-connected disability 100%
At least 30 cumulative months 90%
At least 24 cumulative months 80%
At least 18 cumulative months 70%
At least 12 cumulative months 60%
At least 6 cumulative months 50%
90 aggregate days 40%

Yellow Ribbon Program

Saint Peter’s University also participates in the Yellow Ribbon program, contributing 50% of those tuition charges not covered by the Post 9/11 GI Bill.  With the 50% match from the VA through this program and the remaining 50% match from the school, it may be possible for students to attend at little or no cost.  The Yellow Ribbon program is available to veterans who are entitled to the maximum benefit rate of 100%.

Monthly Living (Housing) Stipend

As an eligible veteran or member of the National Guard or Selected Reserve you may receive a monthly housing allowance (living stipend) based on the ZIP code of the location of the school you are attending – not your home ZIP code. This stipend currently averages $1,368 a month, but can exceed $2,700 depending on where you go to school.

This stipend is based on the DoD’s Basic Allowance for Housing (BAH) for an E-5 with dependents. This stipend does not require students to live on campus.

NOTE: Service members currently on active duty and veterans (and eligible family members) and those taking courses on a half-time basis do not qualify for the monthly housing stipend.

Students taking 100% of their courses online are eligible for a monthly stipend equal to half of the national average stipend, which is $714.50 for 2013.

Book and Supply Stipend

You may receive an annual book stipend of up to $1,000 if you are a veteran or member of the Guard or Selected Reserve. This stipend will be paid at the beginning of each term. It is paid proportionately based on the number of credits taken by each student at $41 per credit hour. Active-duty service members and their eligible spouses are also eligible for the annual book stipend.

Applying for Benefits

To get started and to use your VA benefits at Saint Peter’s University please make sure you have completed the Veterans On-Line Application.  Once you receive the certificate of eligibility from the VONAPP system you will need to provide the certificate along with a copy of the DD214 to the Veterans Assistance Coordinator at Saint Peter’s.

  • Any veterans that wish to transfer any of their Post 9/11 GI Bill Entitlement to their dependents or Spouse must first do the following steps. Steps to Transfer Benefits:

1) Apply through DOD at Transferability of Educational Benefits (TEB) website, located at https://milconnect.dmdc.mil

2) Once your transfer request is approved, your request data is sent to the Department of Veterans Affairs (DVA). Each family member must first apply for a certificate of eligibility from the DVA before they can use their transferred benefits. Once the DVA receives the request data and VA Form 22-1990E, they will be able to process your family members’ requests to use their benefits. The application for the certificate of eligibility (VA Form 22- 1990E) can be found through the Department of Veterans Affairs’ VONAPP Web Site (https://vabenefits.vba.va.gov/vonapp/main.asp). You can call the DVA for Education Benefits information at 1-888-GIBILL1.

3) After receiving their certificates of eligibility from the DVA, your family members must provide the certificates to the school.

4) If your family members do not receive their certificates of eligibility from the DVA before they enroll in school, they should ask the veterans’ certifying official at the school to submit to the DVA an enrollment certification for the academic term.


Tuition funds will be sent direct from the DVA to the school. Children using months of transferred benefit will receive the monthly living stipend and the books and supplies stipend. A spouse using a transferred benefit will only receive the monthly living stipend. A spouse may also be eligible for the books and supplies stipend if he/she uses the benefit after you separate from active duty.

Spouses of active duty service members are not eligible for Yellow Ribbon.

For further information, please contact Saint Peter’s University’s veterans assistance coordinator, Michael Quinn, in the Enrollment Services Center or the Associate Director of Financial Aid Pablo Orantes