Veterans & Military Service Members

FAQs for Military Students

What programs are currently available for veterans at St. Peter’s University?

  • Ch. 30 Montgomery GI Bill® Active Duty benefits (MGIB-AD)
  • Ch. 31 Vocational Rehabilitation benefits (Disabled Veterans)
  • Ch. 33 Post 9/11 GI Bill® benefits
    • Yellow Ribbon Program/ Fry Scholarship/Transfer of Entitlement
  • Ch. 35 Dependents/Survivors Educational Assistance benefits (DEA)
  • Ch. 1606 Montgomery GI Bill® Selected Reserves benefits (MGIB-SR)

Does St. Peter’s University participate in the Yellow Ribbon Program?

Yes we do, a Veteran must be classified at the 100% level in order to be eligible for this program.

How do I find out what benefits I am entitled to?

The best way to find this out is to contact the Department of Veteran Affairs at 1-888-442-4551/1-888-GIBILL1, or check their website at and request a Certificate of Eligibility.

What is included with my benefits?

  • Tuition and fees. If you qualify for the maximum benefit, the VA will cover the full cost of tuition. If not they will let you know on your certificate of eligibility how much is covered.
  • Money for housing (if you’re in school more than half time). We’ll base your monthly housing allowance on the cost of living where your school is located.
  • Money for books and supplies. You can receive up to $1,000 per school year.

*Dorms and Meal Plans are NOT covered by the VA.

Will my classes and MHA be affected due to the pandemic?

Starting in Spring 2020 and until December 2021 any courses that were originally offered as a resident course, but switched to online due to the pandemic will be certified as a resident course.  The VA will pay the MHA (Monthly Housing Allowance) as if these courses are on campus.

Who do I contact once I receive my Certificate of Eligibility or have any school related VA questions?

The veterans coordinator at St. Peter’s is Michael Quinn. You can call him at 201-761-6090, email him at, or you can stop in person to Enrollment Services located on the First floor of McDermott Hall. He will need a copy of your Certificate of Eligibility before he can certify your enrollment.

When will my certification be processed?

All certifications are done after the last day to add/drop this way the certification that is sent in is the final and accurate one in regards to the tuition and number of credits you are registered for.

Who do I talk to in regards to making my schedule?

Depending on your major you will have an advisor from that department that will be able to assist you in setting up my schedule.

Can I take out a loan if I am receiving benefits from the VA?

Yes you can, please make sure you fill out your FAFSA and then you can follow up with one of our Financial Aid counselors.  The Financial Aid office is located in Enrollment Services on the first floor of McDermott, 201-761-6060,

If my benefits are sent directly to me or do not cover my tuition in full will I receive a late fee if I do not set up a payment plan?

Yes, you will receive a late fee if you do not setup a payment plan,  prior to the start of the term. It is in your best interest to do this as soon as possible. If you need assistance setting up a payment plan you can contact our Student Accounts department at 201-761-7440, or They are located in Enrollment Services on the First floor of McDermott Hall.