What is TRiO?
The term “TRiO” was coined in the late 1970’s when the first three programs were established. These three programs include Upward Bound (1964), Educational Talent Search (1965) and Student Support Services Program (1965). Over the years, TRiO programs have expanded and now include several additional programs.
TRiO SSS Scholars will begin their academic career at Saint Peter’s University, participating in an informative, credit bearing summer program, which allows first generation college students to engage in a collegiate experience that will propel their academic and personal success.
(Engage, Discover, Gain experience, Excel)
Student Support Services helps low-income and first generation students to stay in college until they earn their baccalaureate degrees. Participants also include disabled college students, who receive tutoring, counseling and remedial instruction.
The Student Support Services (SSS) at Saint Peter’s offers participants a comprehensive four-year program, entitled the EDGE (Engage, Discover, Gain Experience, Excel), that features result- oriented support services, rather than a series of non-connected activities. The goal of SSS is to increase retention and graduation rates of participants through quality interactions, clear expectations and pathways to academic preparedness.
- Build networks with a community of students from diverse or similar backgrounds.
- Learn and engage with different student organizations, and campus resources
- Take an introductory social science, reading, writing, or math course. Class material will be provided at no cost.
- Attend a mandatory 3-week Summer Program and earn three college credits that count toward your Bachelor’s Degree
- If qualified, select TRiO Scholars will receive a one-time Grant Aid reward, toward their cost of education.
Throughout your academic career, students will have access to:
- Free resources in the TRiO SSS Library
- Free Loaner Laptops for the duration of the academic year.
- Safe Zone where students can study, work in groups or engage in communal interactions
Follow us on Instagram