Apply to TRiO
What is TRiO?The term “TRiO” was coined in the late 1970’s when the first three programs were established. These three programs include Upward Bound (1964), Educational Talent Search (1965) and Student Support Services Program (1965). Over the years, TRiO programs have expanded and now include several additional programs.
E.D.G.E. Program(Engage, Discover, Gain experience, Excel) Student Support Services helps low-income and first generational students to stay in college until they earn their baccalaureate degrees. Participants also include disabled college students, who receive tutoring, counseling and remedial instruction. The Student Support Services (SSS) at Saint Peter’s offers participants a comprehensive four-year program, entitled the EDGE (Engage, Discover, Gain Experience, Excel), that features result- oriented support services, rather than a series of non-connected activities. The goal of SSS is to increase retention and graduation rates of participants through quality interactions, clear expectations and pathways to academic preparedness.
- Addresses many issues associated with transitioning from high school to college through the New Student Orientation Program, a Summer Bridge Program and Learning Communities.
- Academic Advising, Academic Assistance and Tutoring by GEMS (Getting Engaged in Mentoring Students) who are existing peer mentors, will also be provided.
- Continues critical support services and interventions, but begins to focus more specifically on distinct pathways to success
- Guidance on choosing a major, exploring experiential learning, leadership, and service opportunities; and career exploration.
- Emphasizes four areas:
- Degree completion strategies
- Experiential learning
- Graduate/professional school exploration/preparation
- Preparing to enter the work force
- Addresses degree completion, implementation of postgraduate plans and assimilation of the academic, experiential learning, social and leadership growth as seen in the Life Portfolio.
Follow us on Instagram