First Year Experience recognizes the importance for students to begin their college career taking the correct courses for their degree. Students should make an appointment to meet individually with their advisor to discuss their major, choose classes and register.
Advising by appointment
Please speak with your advisor for their hours of availability Freshmen can see their advisors in the Advisement Center during their scheduled hours.
Policy and Procedures for Advising
- If you cannot keep your scheduled appointment, please notify your advisor as soon as possible to cancel or reschedule.
- Check your Saint Peter’s email regularly for important updates sent to you by the University.
Students’ Roles and Responsibilities
In order to take advantage of the academic services available at Saint Peter’s University, students are expected to:
- Schedule regular advising appointments each semester.
- Be on time for scheduled appointments.
- Be courteous and plan ahead by cancelling or rescheduling appointments if necessary.
- Come to appointments with prepared questions or issues to discuss with their advisor.
- Keep a record of their academic progress and completed goals.
- Familiarize themselves with Saint Peter’s academic calendar each semester – paying close attention to important deadline dates.
- Seek help when needed and use appropriate campus resources.
Academic Advisors’ Roles and Responsibilities – What Students Can Expect
Academic Advisors are expected to:
- Maintain confidentiality when working with students one on one.
- Provide accurate and updated academic information regarding general college policies and procedures, referrals to campus services and other administrative departments.
- Assist in Academic advisement
- Assist students with scheduling appropriate courses that fulfill college, department, and general education requirements each semester and/or module.
Expected Student Learning Outcomes for the Academic Advising Experience
- Students will develop a comprehensive academic plan to achieve their educational goals at Saint Peter’s University.
- Students will demonstrate an understanding of the academic policies and procedures of Saint Peter’s University.
- Students will be able to accurately interpret the program and general education requirements of their respective majors by checking the academic catalog and meeting with their advisors.
- Academic Catalog
- Students will demonstrate effective decision making concerning their degree and career goals.