As a result of the Student Health Insurance Legislative S-2291 passage, New Jersey colleges and universities no longer require full time students to show proof that they are covered by health insurance policies; however, with the passage of the federal Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act (PPACA), all citizens must have insurance coverage through a PPACA compliance plan or they will be subject to tax fines beginning January 2014.
Acceptable Insurance (PPACA approved) includes:
- parent’s insurance plan
- an individual marketplace plan
- Medicaid, Medicare
- Tricare, veterans benefits and other government plans
- International plan with ACA comparable coverage (including evacuation and repatriation benefits)-International Students only
Plans are available through federal health care exchanges where you can compare coverage among a variety of insurance companies. Students who wish to purchase health insurance are encouraged to visit the following federal exchange websites:
- www.cuidadodesalud.gov (Spanish)
- Apply by phone please call: 800-318-2596
- submit questions to: HHSORD2@hhs.gov
Saint Peter’s University offers a student accident and injury plan. Assistance with filing a claim is available at the office during daytime business hours.
The University will enroll all full-time students in our Student Accident and Injury Plan. Please note that students cannot waive out of the Student Accident and Injury Plan even with a personal health insurance plan. This charge is already a portion of the comprehensive fee on student bills. See detailed information about this plan including benefits below: