Accelerated B.S. to M.S. in Data Science
With the exponential growth of Big Data over the past few years, the need for Data Scientists becomes more and more pronounced and urgent. Saint Peter’s University has been offering a cutting-‐edge academic program to meet such demands and train the next generation of data scientists. The program prepares students for leadership roles in finance, retail, pharmaceutical, consulting, technology, and all sectors that need to leverage their data.
Current graduates work at companies such as JP Morgan, 3M Health Technologies, FedEx and Goldman Sachs. Data Science with a focus on Business Analytics is the discipline that integrates scientific methods from statistics, computer science and data-‐based business management to extract knowledge from data and drive decision making. The Master in Data Science curriculum provides students with a rigorous course of study in Big Data technologies, applications and practices. Please inquire with your advisor or Professor Robert Finn (firstname.lastname@example.org) in the Department of Computer & Information Sciences for information on the MS in Data Science.
This program is designed for students with a background in science, applied science, business, or economics. For preparedness, students need to be currently enrolled in a BS program.
The Accelerated BS to MS Data Science degree program offers several advantages. The program:
- Accelerates the attainment of an advanced degree
- Facilitates seamless transition to a master’s degree
- Increases students’ marketability in the field of Data Science
- Saves students time and money
Students may apply to the program upon completion of 60 credits, and upon acceptance, take two graduate courses
(6 credits) within their last 30 credits.
Specific admission requirements include:
- Successful completion of 60 credits
- Cumulative major GPA of 3.0 or higher, Major GPA of 3.0 or higher; at the time of application and when the BS degree is completed
- Complete the BS degree in four years or less
- Submission of the graduate application, and personal statement (500 words)
- Official transcript(s) will be obtained from Enrollment Services upon completion
- Two letters of recommendation from school of Undergraduate Degree
- An interview may be required
Credits and Curriculum
If accepted into the accelerated program, students will take up to six Data Science graduate credits in either the fall or spring semester within their last 30 credits. Graduate courses taken while an undergraduate are billed at the undergraduate tuition rate and fulfill course requirements for the Bachelor’s and Master’s degrees. The bachelor’s degree will be awarded upon successful completion of all requirements for the undergraduate degree. Note: The University will apply the initial 6 graduate credits to the graduate transcript upon completion of 12 additional graduate credits.
Upon completion of the bachelor’s degree, students take all graduate courses and will enroll in at least two courses in each of the subsequent semesters until completed. All graduate courses are billed at the graduate tuition rate. Upon successful completion of the remaining graduate credits, the student will be awarded a Master of Science in Data Science.