International Students

Frequently Asked Questions

We can imagine that you have many questions related to gaining admission at Saint Peter’s University. We have compiled a list of the most common asked questions by incoming international students. We suggest that you review this Q&A section before contacting us.

You can use the Find (Crtl+F) feature on most computers to search for key words.

Can I apply to Saint Peter’s University over the Internet?

Yes, Undergraduate and Graduate application links can be found on the Apply page.

Is there an application deadline?

Yes, June 1 for Fall admission and November 1 for Spring admission.

Please visit:

How can I get a student VISA?

After you have been officially admitted to Saint Peter’s University, the Center for Global Learning will work with you in the I-20 application process. Upon receipt of an I-20, you will schedule a visa appointment at your local Unites States Embassy. For more information about student Visas visit the Study in the States web site. 

Do I have to take the TOEFL or IELTS? Can I substitute it with another similar type of examination?

Students whose native language is not English are required to submit the results of one of the approved English Language Assessments explained in the international admission requirements for international students. Citizens of Canada, Australia, Ireland, New Zealand and the UK may be exempt from the English language testing requirements. At this time, we don’t accept substitutions for the English Language Requirement.

Where is Saint Peter’s University located?

Saint Peter’s University is located in the heart of Jersey City, New Jersey and is about 5 miles from Manhattan. The nearest airport is Newark which is about 10-15 minutes away from campus. The nearest major transportation hub, the Journal Square Path Station, is just a short walk from campus. Free shuttle services to the Journal Square Path Station are provided for all currently enrolled students. View a map of the campus.

What is the difference between a college and a university?

College or university follows after high school, or secondary school. A college in the U.S.A. is not a high school or secondary school. College and university programs begin in the thirteenth year of school, usually when a student is 17 or 18 years old or older. A two-year college offers an Associate’s Degree. A four-year college or university offers a Bachelor’s Degree and many offer graduate degrees.

Saint Peter’s University offers Bachelors and Master’s degrees. You can earn a Bachelor’s Degree at either a college or a university. However, students in the U.S.A. prefer to use the word “college” rather than the word “university” when they talk about the four-year undergraduate program and the Bachelor’s Degree. They say “going to college” and “a college degree” when they talk about undergraduate programs at either a college or a university.

What makes Saint Peter’s University unique?

Guided by the traditions that have been in place for more than 140 years, we are proud to offer our students learning opportunities, career possibilities, and life changing experiences. Our bustling Jersey City campus, welcoming diverse community, and access to the country’s biggest metropolitan area, make the unique combination of achieving success and having an impact not only possible, but incredibly powerful.

How many students attend Saint Peter’s?

Total enrollment at Saint Peter’s University is about 3,000 students. Our student body represents a diverse student population which includes students from over 36 countries.

How successful are Saint Peter’s graduates?

Saint Peter’s prepares all of students whatever goals they choose to pursue after graduation by providing a solid academic foundation. We also offer career services which help guide many of our students to find employment opportunities upon graduation. Many of our graduates advance in their current profession. Many become leading educators, enter non-profit organizations and become agents for change.

How selective is Saint Peter’s University? How are admissions decisions made?

Our Office of Admission looks at the overall application when making an admission’s decision. We look for students who complete applications that are on time, filled out thoroughly, and meet all the required requirements for admission in their chosen degree. In addition, we enjoy students who communicate regularly with our Dean of International Enrollment.

How does Saint Peter’s review International Baccalaureates, WAEC/WASSCE and my foreign university transcript?

The Office of Admission has experience in reviewing IB program credentials, and a variety of other scholastic systems from various countries including some undergraduate degrees for those pursuing graduate programs. African students who have taken the WAEC/WASSCE should submit both their transcripts and WAEC/WASSCE results slips, along with scratch card information so that we can verify their results. For more information visit

Can I apply as a transfer student?

Yes, official transcripts (certified and translated to English) are required from each college or university you have attended. In most cases, an external evaluation by WES, ECE , EP any other NACES approved evaluation service may be required for Universities in non-English speaking institutions or institutions deemed necessary for evaluation by the Office of Admission.

Can I apply with my O-Levels only?

Yes, we can accept students after they have completed their O-Levels. Students will, however, be required to take the ACT or SAT. A TOEFL or IELTS score may not be substituted. Students wishing to use their O-Levels for entrance must meet the minimum ACT or SAT requirements.

Does Saint Peter’s University offer scholarships covering full tuition or full rides?

Saint Peter’s University does not provide full scholarship support for international students. Saint Peter’s University does provide some scholarship assistance who demonstrate the highest academic potential and bring significant co-curricular interests to our campus.

What scholarships are offered for international students?

International undergraduate students are eligible for scholarships for a maximum of 4 years or 120 credits. We take school marks and test scores when determining scholarship amounts. For more information, please contact the Dean of International Enrollment for the latest scholarship availability list.

What can I do to prepare for my departure?

We encourage you to attend an EducationUSA pre-departure session. It is not mandatory for incoming international students but we feel these session are very valuable to incoming international students and parents.

EducationUSA centers are the U.S. State Department’s network of more than 400 advising centers in 170 countries designed to assist local students find the appropriate college or university in the United States. We have excellent relationships formed with EducationUSA officers throughout the world. Please visit EducationUSA for more information about pre-departure sessions.

Are students required to live on campus?

Although we encourage all of our students to reside on campus, we understand that many students have friends or family in the Jersey City or NYC metro area and/or may chose more independent housing options. International students are not required to live on campus.

How do Saint Peter’s students spend their free time?

At Saint Peter’s University, there are abundant opportunities to have fun and get involved in different activities sponsored by the Student Life office not to mention the wealth of activities that the city has to offer. From restaurants, theatre, recreational and social leagues, students never find a dull moment at Saint Peter’s.

How do I obtain a visa to study at Saint Peter’s University?

Your admission package includes an acceptance letter and the I-20 form with specific instructions on obtaining a visa.

What should I bring from home to the United States?

Your necessities should include any prescription medicine, glasses, or other medical supplies that may not be available in the States. You will need warm clothes for the winters in New Jersey, although these can be purchased once you arrive. Most of this information will be sent to you via email after your enrollment has been confirmed.

Is there an application fee?

No, Saint Peter’s University does not require an application fee. .

Is there a deposit I need to make if I am accepted?

If you are an undergraduate student, in order to ensure your enrollment and place in the semester you are applying for, a $150 non-refundable tuition deposit will be required. An additional $250 non-refundable housing deposit will be required if you plan to live on campus.

Deposits can be made by wire transfer, certified bank check, international or US Postal money order. Notification will be sent to all accepted students in their acceptance packet.

Graduate Students: to accept your admission offer and confirm your enrollment, a non-refundable $500 tuition deposit is required. Payment can be made via credit card or ACH in your application portal.

Can I receive credits for A-levels, IB and AP?

Yes, in the case of A-levels and AP courses we will evaluate your results and award credit equivalencies. Official examination results/scores should be sent directly from testing headquarters to the Office of Admission.

Does the Norwegian 13th year of schooling exempt me from my first year at Saint Peter’s University?

Yes, in most cases credits can be given for the 13th year of schooling in a Norwegian curriculum. This will depend on your courses and results. Courses will be evaluated upon review of your admission materials. Official examination results/scores should be sent directly from the official testing headquarters to the Saint Peter’s University Office of Admission.

If I want to send my SAT results to Saint Peter’s University what is the code required?

Our CEEB code is 2806.

Can I send an official copy of my IELTS score through the British Council?

Yes, you can have the Cambridge ESOL, the British Council or IDP:IELTS Australia send it directly to us.

Can I have my TOEFL score results sent directly by ETS?

Yes, our ETS code is 2806.

I would like to purchase international student health insurance. Do you have any recommended providers?

You can purchase international student health insurance in your home country or work with our Office of International Student Services for assistance in purchasing an international student health insurance plan. Please visit Health Services for more information on suggested international health insurance providers.

I would like to purchase an international student Identity Card. Where can I purchase one?

We recommend ISIC. ISIC provide students with discounts at popular tourist attractions, local merchants and even allows students to load money onto their card. In order to be eligible for an ISIC, you must be a student age 12 or over, currently enrolled at an accredited institution and matriculating towards a diploma or a degree.

Continuing education and language school students are not eligible. The ISIC card is valid 1 year from date of issue. Once you enroll at Saint Peter’s University, ISIC Cards can be purchased online or at several STA Travel locations throughout New York City. For more information, visit ISIC.

Can you place me in communication with current students and faculty?

Absolutely, whenever possible, qualified applicants can be connected with current students and faculty upon request.

What immunizations does Saint Peter’s University require before I arrive on campus?

Please see Health Services for a list of immunization requirements required for all students on or before registering for classes.

If I am on a B visitor visa, can I seek a change of status I-20?

No, at this time we only grant a change of status I-20 for certain visa categories but it excludes B visas. Students approved for a change of status I-20 must complete the change of status before commencing studies at Saint Peter’s University.

Do I have to fill out a Statement of Financial Support and provide proof of funding if I am on a G, H or O visa?

Yes, at this time we require that you still demonstrate the funds necessary to pay for your studies at Saint Peter’s University. This will be kept on file and may be helpful if you decide to change to F-1 status at a later date.

I am a dual citizen of the USA and another country can I choose to apply as an international student?

No, you should apply as a U.S. Citizen and take advantage of financial aid awarded by the government that may not be available to international students. You would apply as a domestic student and follow the domestic procedures for admission.

Do you have a special counselor that works with Americans Living Abroad?

Yes, we have domestic staff members dedicated to working with U.S. Citizens or Permanent Residents with schooling overseas but currently residing in the U.S.A. and for students living in off-shore U.S. territories and possessions, which include American Samoa, Guam, the Northern Mariana Islands, Puerto Rico and the United States Virgin Islands.

If you are an American Living Abroad but not living in an U.S. territory, our Dean of International Enrollment will work with you through the application process. If you have U.S. Citizenship or U.S. Permanent Residency, you should always apply as a domestic student. We do recognize that Americans Living Abroad (ALA) and Third Culture Kids (TCK) have a unique experience and we want to

How long do decisions take in general?

We should have a decision rendered within 2 weeks as long as a student has met all of the requirements for admission. Please note that sometimes decisions may take longer due to staff and faculty availability.

How do I receive my acceptance letter and I-20?

You will receive an email notification indicating your admission decision is ready for review in your application portal. After paying the enrollment deposit, the Center for Global Learning will email you to start the I-20 application process.

What type of NACES evaluation do I need?

A course by course evaluation is preferred but a general evaluation will suffice. The evaluation must come directly from a NACES approved evaluation company. The evaluation must state that you have earned the equivalent of a U.S. Bachelor’s degree and include a cumulative grade point average.