Saint Peter’s University Athletics Unveils Revamped Visual Identity and Branding
Jersey City, N.J. – August 25, 2020 – The Saint Peter’s University athletics department is excited to unveil a revamped visual identity and branding platform today ahead of the start of the 2020-21 academic year.
Comprised of a revamped branding package that incorporates a fresh take on the peacock mascot logos, a brand-new monogram, an updated wordmark, a unique typeface and a variety of new spirit marks round out a comprehensive department-wide rebrand that makes one of the country’s most unique collegiate athletics mascots (and the only such mascot in the NCAA Division I ranks) stand out even further.
The creative development process, spearheaded by Varsity Partners, began in the summer of 2019 and included a number of presentations, input sessions and feedback from coaches, staff, student-athletes and other key constituents from across the Saint Peter’s University campus. At its core, the mission of the rebrand was to create a simplified identity system that evokes the hard-working spirit of the Saint Peter’s University community while harnessing the energy of the fanbase to build on established legacy and tradition.
The end result: a refreshed and modernized visual identity that showcases the determined and diligent spirit of Saint Peter’s Athletics. The initiative comes on the heels of one of the most successful academic years in recent memory, and the rebrand aims to keep pushing that department wide momentum with new branding elements that will enhance uniforms, facilities (including the recently announced Yanitelli Center renovation project), merchandise, digital media and print applications.
The new marks and logos tie in seamlessly to the university’s institutional visual identity, including the alignment with the university’s primary shade of the color blue. In detail, the rebrand includes:
- The introduction of a new “SP” monogram.
- A fresh take on an old classic; the peacock mascot logo has been reimagined with inspiration from its most recent iteration, as well as a callback to one of the earliest iterations of the mascot. The new mascot – with three versions (mascot head, full strut, full perch) includes a look of determination, the three crest feathers symbolizing the holy trinity found on the University deal, and a rolled-up sweatshirt sleeve showing determination while embracing hard work.
- A new logotype with a number of variations, with the primary iteration comprised of an arched “Saint Peter’s” that was also inspired from some of the university’s earliest days of varsity athletics competition.
- A plethora of spirit marks that include sport-specific elements, logotypes, monograms and a new territory mark that incorporates the new monogram inside the outline of the state of New Jersey.
- A unique typeface designed exclusively for Saint Peter’s University Athletics: Spur On.
“This is an exciting day for our student-athletes, coaches, staff, alumni and fans,” said Director of Athletics Rachelle Paul. “Together, with the ongoing renovations to the Yanitelli Center, the introduction of our new visual identity will usher in a new era of Saint Peter’s University Athletics. I am confident that the entire Saint Peter’s University community will embrace the modern look of our rebrand, one that is reflective not only of the positive change and progress made in athletics but the entire university.”
“The Saint Peter’s leadership team, student-athletes and community are special,” added Tim Rebich, CEO of Varsity Partners. “A lot of organizations talk about hard work, but this group lives it. From apparel to identity system design, we worked side-by-side to create momentum for a program ready to harness its potential. We are excited to help build on the ongoing success that is happening in Jersey City.”
# # end # #
Saint Peter’s University, inspired by its Jesuit, Catholic identity, commitment to individual attention and grounding in the liberal arts, educates a diverse community of learners in undergraduate, graduate, doctoral and professional programs to excel intellectually, lead ethically, serve compassionately and promote justice in our ever-changing urban and global environment. To learn more, please visit www.saintpeters.edu.