University Celebrates Pavonia Heritage Society
On Sunday, April 24 our University family celebrated Mass and a brunch with the members of the Pavonia Heritage Society. The Society is comprised of our loyal supporters who not only give their support to the University’s current needs but have donated a planned gift to the future growth of the University.
The Pavonia Heritage Society’s name stems from the very roots of Jersey City, first named Pavonia, Latin for “land of the Peacock” in the 1600s. The Jesuits then laid their roots here when establishing Saint Peter’s in 1872. The power of the generosity of the Pavonia Heritage Society members in particular has been instrumental in allowing the University to continue to educate ethical leaders of tomorrow who are grounded in the Jesuit, liberal arts tradition here in New Jersey.
President Eugene J. Cornacchia, Ph.D., presented the members in attendance with a certificate to the Society along with a heartfelt thank you for their generous support of Saint Peter’s University’s past, present and future. Rev. Rocco Danzi, S.J., celebrated the Mass and Rev. Michael Braden, S.J., presented the history of The Saint John’s Bible to the guests and how it relates to the history of the Jesuit mission.