Mission & History

Timeline

1872 Charter for Saint Peter’s College.
1878 First student enrolled.
1918 College closed as a result of World War I.
1930 College reopened.
1932 School of Business Administration, Evening Division, started under the name of Hudson College.
1942 Hudson College closed because of World War II.
1948 Evening Session resumed under the name of Saint Peter’s College.
1966 Saint Peter’s College became coeducational in the Day Session.
1975 Opening of Englewood Cliffs Campus – a branch campus for adults.
1979 Program leading to the Master of Arts in Education introduced.
1982 Reactivating of Alpha Sigma Nu, the national society of Jesuit colleges and universities.
1983 Opening of Veteran’s Memorial Court, the College’s first residence hall.
1985 Establishment of the Will and Ariel Durant Chair for the Humanities, funded by the New Jersey State Legislature.
1988 Program leading to the Master of Business Administration in Management Information Systems introduced.
1990 Dedication of the Joseph J. Jaroschak Field, the College’s first athletic field.
1993 Formal dedication of Whelan Hall, a residence hall on the East Campus, funded with the help of a one million dollar gift by Thomas V. Whelan ’68.
1994 Renovation of Saint Peter Hall as a residence facility.
1996 Introduction of new M.B.A. programs in Management and International Business as well as Master of Science in Accountancy.
1997 125th Anniversary of the founding of Saint Peter’s College.
1997 Introduction of Master of Science in Nursing program.
1999 Introduction of new M.B.A. programs in Finance and Marketing.
1999 Formal dedication of Millenium Hall on the East campus, the College’s fourth residence hall.
2000 Completion of $8.2 million renovation and modernization of Gannon Hall, the College’s science building.
2003 College opens extension site at South Amboy, NJ’s Cardinal McCarrick High School.
2004 Construction of a pedestrian bridge linking East and West campuses over Kennedy Boulevard completed.
2007 The Board of Trustees appoints Eugene J. Cornacchia, Ph.D. as the College’s first layperson president.
2012 Saint Peter’s College becomes Saint Peter’s University
2013 Completion and grand opening of the Mac Mahon Student Center